1. The Club shall be called the ” Wight Orienteers” (hereinafter called the Club).
2. The purpose of the Club is to encourage and promote the sport of Orienteering in the Isle of Wight.
3. There shall be three classes of membership, which shall be defined as follows:
a) Group Family, Club or School
b) Senior 19 or over on 31st December
c) Junior 18 and under on 31st December
4. Annual Subscriptions due on the 1st January each year shall be determined in amount by the Club Committee, but this amount may be confirmed or amended at the Annual General Meeting as that body thinks fit.
5. The Annual General Meeting shall be held between 1st May and 31st July each year and fourteen days notice will be given to each member entitled to speak and/or vote at such a Meeting. The business of the Annual General Meeting shall be as follows:
a) Presentation of the Chairman’s Report for the preceding year
b) Presentation of the Club’s Annual Accounts
c) Election of Honorary Officers and Committee for the ensuing year
d) Any other business sanctioned by the Committee
6. The Club Committee shall be responsible for the administration and organisation of all Club affairs. The Club Committee shall consist of a Chairman, a Treasurer, a Secretary and at least four other members ( The Committee will be approximately in the ratio of one to every six members) elected at the Annual General Meeting and to serve for one year. The Committee shall have the power to make, amend and repeal such rules as they think fit for regulating the affairs of the Club. They shall also have the power to appoint sub-committees from among their number and to add to its number for special purposes, by co-opting members as they think desirable. Any vacancies occurring after the Annual General Meeting may be filled at a succeeding Special General Meeting, providing at least fourteen days notice is given, in writing, to all members entitled to vote.
7. All Members of the Club present at a General Meeting shall have the right to vote at such a Meeting as follows:
Group (Family, Club or School) – one vote per group
Individual Members – one vote each
8. For the election of Officers and Members of the Committee, every candidate willing to stand shall be proposed and seconded. If there is more than one nomination, selection wil be by ballot.
9. Meetings of the Club Committee may be convened by any Officer or any two Committee Members not being Officers. The quorum at Committee Meetings shall be four. At all Committee Meetings the Senior Officer shall preside. If votes be equal, the vote of the Senior Officer shall count as two votes.
10. Any Officer or Member of the Committee who shall be absent from three consecutive Committee Meetings may be called upon to resign his office and shall thereupon resign. The vacancy so occuring shall be filled in accordance with Rule 6.
11. All Competitions are to be held in strict accordance with the Rules of Competition of the British Orienteering Federation.
12. Any fully paid up Member, supported in writing by at least four other fully paid Members, may call upon the Honorary Secretary to call a Special General Meeting if this should be required.
13. Amendments to the Constitution shall require a two-thirds majority of those members present and entitled to vote at a General Meeting.
14. At least fourteen days notice must be given to all Members of any General Meeting. This notice must be given in writing.
15. If the Committee decides that it is necessary or advisable to dissolve the Club, it shall call a meeting of all Members of the Club, giving not less than twenty-one days notice. If the proposal is confirmed by a two-thirds majority of those voting, the Committee shall power to realise any assets held by or on behalf of the Club. Any assets remaining after the satisfactionof any proper debts and liabilities shall be given or transferred to other sporting institutions with the object of promoting orienteering. A copy of the statement of accounts for the final accounting period of the Club must be sent to the British Orienteering Federation, specifying the destination of the assets disposed of.
FRAMED by the Club Committee and agreed at the Annual General Meeting held on 24th January 1977. Amended at the Special General Meeting held on 27th September 1998.
Amended at the Special General Meeting held on 24th March 2000.